Thursday 2 February 2012

artist profile: jack whiteside garry giomarelli

jack whiteside



Passing through the Sudden Subway on the way to school was what began my fascination with aerosol art, I was massively inspired by artists such as Clear, Nibs and Shunk who would paint down there regularly. At an early age I began sketching work I had seen in books or photographs I had taken of local street art. This then went on until I began to develop my own style. I first picked up a can of spray paint in around 2003 I would make stencils and use them to spray onto my skateboard, however I was always more interested in Free-hand graffiti. I began trying that in around 2004/ early 2005 in the subway which sadly got knocked down soon after due too some lame council plans to change the round about into traffic lights because they thought it would decrease congestion. Anyway it didn’t stop me from painting and my work pretty much developed from there. Its just a little sad to think how many other youngsters would have been influenced to go out and express themselves by painting walls like I was if the subway was still there. O well shit happens; especially when you live in Rochdale. 

garry giomarelli
I am currently in my final year of a degree in visual communication at Leeds collage of art. I enjoy working in a variety of mediums, such as photography, model making/sculpture, video and animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment